As ILO's partner organization, Mera Maan is piloting a Program to improve the last mile connectivity with regard to safe and improved migration in Pakistan. Currently in its pilot-phase, the model advocates the identification, development and eventual sustainability of Community Based Migrant Changemakers, who would be trained as business development service providers that can orient, guide, mentor and link potential labour migrants so that they may remain risk free, and undertake legal and safe migration.
The contours of the pilot project are as follows:
· 32 community based changemakers selected from 4 hot spot districts to be trained and supported as Community Based Migrant Changemakers (CBMCs)
· Development of experiential and participatory information material for use in Migrant Information Sessions (MIS)
· Training of CBMCs to enable them to hold 192 MIS in 32 union councils of 4 districts in Punjhab and KPK, targeting 10,000 potential labour migrants
· Period of engagement: From March- August, 2019
· Areas: Sialkot & Bahawalpur in Punjab and Mardan & Swabi in KPK
The CBMCs were identified, selected and onboarded through Associate partner organizations, i.e. YEN (Youth Employability Network) and Bint-e-Hawwa. The onboarding process included the following:
· Orientation sessions held in target districts to motivate youth groups and community leaders to apply for the CBMC position.
· Use of tools and established process to selection the CBMCs.
· Eight day, two-part, residential bootcamp using a customized training module that systematically covers how safe and informed migration must be practiced in Pakistan.
· Identification of ways in which the CBMCs can institutionalize this information at the district level through established institutions, e.g. TVET and skills training centers, colleges, universities, protractorate offices, and the migrant resource centers.
· Monitoring and mentoring of CBMCs.
This partnership with ILO allows Mera Maan, and its partner organizations (YEN and Bint-e-Hawwa), to reframe and revolutionize how information about labour migration is disseminated at the grass roots level. It will also showcase a cost effective and sustainable way in which such information can be disseminated on scale without comprising on quality and passion. Mera Maan continues to look for opportunities to design and expand similar programmes, through its associate partners, across Pakistan.