Client: Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Southern Area Development Project (SADP)
Date: May 2018 – September 2018 (50 days)
|The Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) has taken an initiative of uplifting three of its least developed district, Dera Ismail Khan (D. I. Khan), Lakki Marwat and Tank through the Southern Area Development Program (SADP). The main objective is to undertake initiatives that enhance livelihood opportunities in the areas, and to ensure socio-economic development of the three districts.
Mera Maan Pvt. Ltd. (MMPL) was mandated to undertake livelihood assessment of the three districts and suggest potential interventions that could achieve the objective of poverty alleviation and socio-economic development in the targeted areas.
The scope of the assessment was kept to 13 union councils in D.I. Khan, 8 union councils in Lakki Marwat and 4 union councils in Tank. The following steps were followed:
· A comprehensive inception mission to gather secondary data from various credible sources
· Collection of primary data through a team of 50 enumerators, and training them to conduct the survey in the targeted 25 Union Councils.
· Conducting a survey of line departments at the district and provincial level.
· The objective of these surveys was to gather first-hand information regarding the demographic profile of the target population, canvas the area, assess the current income sources of people and to assess the potential livelihood opportunities, and available resources, that exist in the target areas. Vocational Training Centers (VTC’s), established by the program, were analyzed; reasons for their closure were recorded and the needs of the people in this regard were assessed. The cultural constraints of the target areas, particularly with regard to females, were particularly noted so that these may be kept in consideration during the development of the livelihood framework.
· Based on the assessment, a livelihoods framework, with a strategic implementation plan, was proposed.